Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Daughter's First Date


--by Shoshy Ciment

First it was you
clubbing the open air with your fists
challenging the earth
of our tiny backyard lawn
to fight back like a man
Behind our screen door 
I saw you kick your limbs
in figure-eights and karate chops
crow like Peter Pan 
to no one in particular until
I dragged you, lovingly
back to me

1,895 dinners later
after karate lessons, piano recitals
broken ankles and 
broken hearts
your grip on our browning lawn 
gradually lessened to 
a playful squeeze and then
a tender caress until 

it was you
slamming the door as
you ran to his car
A sequined purse, rosy cheeks
slender limbs that hadn’t
punched in years
Through the screen I saw
your small hand in his 
as the car started with
a sputter and a hum
and you moved
slowly and certainly
away from me


No comments:

Post a Comment