Sunday, April 29, 2018

To my seventeen-year-old brother

--by Judy Leserman


You twist my innards, the way you toddle
about the world, all seventy-five inches of you.
You’ve got a siren-alarm heart, in bungling search 
for that hat you were meant to wear, with your fingers

pulling after it like they used to pull china-bearing table cloths.
I don’t mind, it’s just that you wouldn't have me catch
those pieces that can crash, the ones that could be heirlooms,
the ones that no amount of glue could salvage.

In you is a boy who runs, hands-over-head,
open-palmed into outstretched arms.
No one told you that you are made of porcelain.

When the brunt of burgeoning manhood bores
that boy, through and through,
I will hold myself a car-key-dangle away,
I will place a razor-trim trail back to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment